Thanks to its modular design, the Telegea Smartbox can be used to run many different applications. One of the possible applications targeted at energy savings is the Smart Thermostat. Development is ongoing and a first prototype was implemented. It is currently being tested in a number of pilot projects.
The following features are currently implemented:
- Temperature control using up to 2 heat/cooling devices
- Programmable weekly schedule
- Manual and automatic temperature selection
- Manual season mode selection
- GUI on local or remote touch screen
- Current weather info on touch screen
- Android app prototype
As a first approach, an alphanumeric LCD screen was added to the Smartbox and a classical thermostat algorithm controls the fan coil in our lab.
As a next step, we replaced the enclosure with a nice looking box and put a touch screen inside. The mechanical dumb thermostat which was controlling the climate in our offices coffee room was substituted with this device. It’s been making us feel comfortable during our coffee breaks for some months now.
The Thermostat GUI which runs on the Smartbox touch screen can also be displayed remotely in a Web browser on any mobile device or on your PCs desktop. So controlling the Thermostat from anywhere is really easy.
Even though the current feature set make this thermostat much easier to use than a classical device, what’s still lacking is the smart part. This is what will be added next:
- Auto learning of weekly schedule
- Automatic season switch
- Automatic fan speed control
- Standby/away mode
Other “nice to have” features include the following:
- Skinable user interface for touch screen
- 3 day weather forecast on touch screen
- Networkless operation
- whatever else comes to our mind